Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Nursing Informatics Competencies


Self-assessment tools help the users to discover what they are good at and where they may have to improve themselves. Nursing Informatics Competencies Self – Assessment let me discover my level in informatics. I believe that I’m at the modifier level and I have the courage to be at the innovator level. Before I start the nursing informatics course, I didn't know about many of technologies that can be used to improve health care. In this module I learned about Tele-health and Tele-nursing, and it was the first time to read about it. My interest in knowing more about Tele-health led me to read more and dive in it. This model led me to know a lot about my abilities in using technology, and more about my abilities in utilizing the skills that I have in discovering new technological tools. Nursing informatics provides me the opportunity to broaden my experience. Now, I’m confident about my knowledge regard HFPS, virtual worlds and second life, EHRs, and many other technologies.


There are many emerging technologies that will change nursing health care, as well as nursing education, in the coming years. I believe that technology is changing the world of healthcare. As a nurse educator, I have to keep my technological knowledge and skills up-to-date. Nursing informatics allows nursing educators to build a strong basis of knowledge in order to teach future and current nurses. As an educator, I have to keep up with the latest technologies and seek knowledge and skills development via attending conferences and workshops, reviewing research articles, and exploring the latest technologies in health care as well as education. The American Nursing Informatics Association is an association that focuses on the advance of the field of nursing informatics through communication, education, research and professional activities.



In order to facilitate the learning of nursing students to become technologically competent providers of nursing care, I have to start by identifying my abilities and strength and working on areas of knowledge I need to improve. In addition, I have to explore active teaching strategies to engage students in the learning, and stimulate the technological savvy person inside each of them. For instance, social media and social networking tools, such as Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube, play a role in the current education. As applying technology in nursing education continue to expand, I must adopt the usefulness and outcomes of technology integration. Here are 3 webpages enrich with technology tools that can be used to enhance both the educator’s and the student’s experience: 
  1. Teacher's Comprehensive List of Great Educational Technology Resources
  2. 50 Education Technology Tools Every Teacher Should Know About
  3. Technology in the Classroom: Resources for Teachers 




No comments:

Post a Comment